Thursday, January 10, 2008

To Vivaine & Back an Ivor adventure

That same night I grabbed my horse and rode off to the harbor hoping to find someone heading to Scavia and willing to take a passenger on board. Luckily, asking some bar owners and inn keepers, they direct me to “The Avatar”, a ship who will be passing from Scavia. I bargain for a safe passage both for me and the steed.

Once there I went around trying to acquaint myself and try to figure out how to reach Vivaine. Whilst asking around a merchant by the name of Sibaris offered me a map of how to reach a guard post situated close to Vivaine. I accepted and bought the map, however I had difficulty in orienting my self and so opted to search for a guide so as to lead me there.

I quickly understood that it was a dangerous road I was after, as everyone refused to lead me there, not even for a hefty some of money. I thought about who could be brave enough to lead me there, and thought that maybe hunters would! Being a nomadic village there were many hunters. I asked the first two that I found, but they did not know my language. Using the map and some money, as well as gestures we managed to agree for them to take me almost all the way to the borders of Vivaine, where there was a guard post. These two went by the name of Hack and Slash.

After two solid days of marching I slept heavily, totally exhausted by the travel. During the night Hack & Slash stole 100 Silver pieces from my pouch and vanished in the night. I woke up as the first rays of sun struck upon me like a spear piercing through the thick forestation. I promptly knew what had happened was furious with my self for being so negligent. Luckily I had hidden half my money in my boots.

The fact that they had stolen my money was not the major problem though; it was way much worse the fact that I was lost somewhere between Scavia and Vivaine. I picked up my stuff packed them on my steed and headed the possible way I was heading. After five days of roaming maybe in circles I finally see peaks. I open the map I had bought and on it I see the name Twilight Peaks written close to Vivaine. Fortunately I had been going in the right direction.

On the way there I meet a tribe of ork scorchers all painted blue. I stop by and ask for rations and directions. I am greeted and asked what I could give in return as payment, so I offer to use my forging skills as a weaponsmith and they accepted. They ask me to forge the blade of a large pole arm. I astonished by the appearance of such a large weapon step back but they reassure me and I get promptly on to my job. In the week I pass there I understand that not all ork scorchers are all out for violence killing and pillaging. This tribe named Naqut’taer is just a nomadic tribe that is mainly concerned towards surviving although they still are combat oriented their way of living displaced totally what had I thought of the orks.

For the service of forging and embellishing the pole arm Thul Nar a charmed adept offered to lead me as far as a river situated near Vivaine. Whilst with the tribe of the orks they also made me understand the art of riding and the handling of animals. They ride their steeds extraordinarily well some even without saddles. They see it as imperative for a being to learn how to ride, and so I opt to learn.

Thul Nar guides me to the river and shows me how to reach Vivaine. Four days pass and finally I reach Vivaine. This was where Oaki was last seen, with some luck he was still there and would welcome my arrival. Whilst going in to Vivaine I am stopped and questioned not knowing Theran I could understand nothing of what they wanted. The Theran guards called out for a guy waiting behind me to translate and so he does. They order for almost all my possessions to be confiscated. I try to offer money as compensation and instead leave me my hammer and the cockerel sword. All was futile as they took both the weapons and the money. Learning from the past I did not complain and handed over my possessions. Two nights in jail were more than enough for my likes.

I started roaming through the streets of Vivaine in search for this dwarf going with the name of Oaki. But since my mission had to remain secret I did not voice that name I opted to observe first to see who can and who cannot be trusted. Whilst roaming I stop at a smith and offer my skills in return for a meal and bedding. He accepts as it is what he can give me nothing else. He goes by the name of Thera-Thur but the people call him Thur. The Therans had forced his mother to call him that way. I spend a month doing odd jobs and acquainting myself with the surroundings as well as with the Barsavian people.

On one fine day I ask Thur about the dwarf named Oaki. He avoided the argument and quickly changed the subject. After some further two weeks I tried again but again he avoided the argument. I also did notice that Thur and the other “elders” did not go to the bar we on certain days. Clearly there was something odd about this. The day after I pressed Thur to tell me what was happening, but again it was all futile I had no success. That same night there was a knock on the door.

I opened to see who might he be and found Durustili a textile merchant there. He entered and asked me if I wanted to regain the stuff the Therans had confiscated me at the gates. I promptly nod in acceptance as revenge is best served cold. Durustili and I walk out in the shadow making as little noise as possible and avoiding the guards so as not to be spotted as we were clearly out after the curfew We arrive close to were the bastard Theran was staying. Durustili makes a gesture for me to stop and wait for his sign. I do as said and after a short while a small whistle is heard I run to him and arrive next to the door were the Theran guard was staying. Durustili dampened a piece of cloth in oil and brushed the pivots with it so as to avoid squeaking. He then took out some lock picks and opened the door.

He instructs me to walk up to the guard and kill him. So I do, with one decisive strike I bring the hammer down on his head cracking it open. We search in a chest for my stuff and find it there together with other pilfered stuff. I take my possessions and Durustili takes the rest of what is left.

We head out and go back to forge. A couple of days pass and I hear nothing about that night. So one day I opt to ask Thur, he bursts out when he hears me talk about the fact, he tells me to leave Vivaine and forget all about it. I insist and looking in my eyes he notices that he would not let this pass with out me getting on top of the matter.

Later that same day I am invited for dinner at Durustili’s home. I go and when there they take me through a tunnel that leads to what may be named as the resistance. I come to know that Oaki is held prisoner and he was the one to start this resistance.

We start off devising a plan so as to liberate him. The idea was to dress up as Theran enter the cells and liberate him whilst some kind of distraction is made on the outside so as to give us enough time to escape. We opt for a day which is a holiday for all Therans.

I start training their posture and attitude and go to the taverns they attended dressed as one of them so as to learn their accent and to make my face known. Some weeks pass by and the day comes. A fire was to be started about 15 minutes after we went in. I held Durustili as a prisoner, and started heading down towards were Oaki might have been. I went down with no problems at first until they asked me for the papers. There I was stunned I did not know what to do. But then I had an idea, I told him that I was new and that I would have gotten him the papers after I head thrown the prisoner to jail and questioned him.

Fortunately he gave me the keys and told me to go and be quick. I continued to move downwards whilst searching for Oaki. Going down to the last floor I come up to a door at the end of a corridor. I knock and ask to see Oaki. An ork guarding the door flinches when I mention the name. He asked me what business I had with Oaki, and I told him that I needed to question him. He didn’t want to let me in unless I had the papers. Then I told him that I had gotten them some good alcohol to celebrate such a great feast. As soon as he just opened the door Durustili slid in and gave me way to enter. We fought fiercely three orks and I got nearly killed. Durustili took out some potions from his vests and handed me some so as to recover some of my wounds, whilst others were held for Oaki. We rushed in, searching for him. We found him immediately he was badly ridden but with a potion he regained some footing and we started rushing back up. Whilst going up we heard some commotion denoting that the fire had started. We ran as fast as we could towards the roof. When finally there I created a bridge towards a nearby building and we crossed through. Allies were in the building adjacent waiting for us, ready to rumble.

We headed back to the sewers where the meeting place of the resistance was. When there Oaki questioned me to tell him who had asked for him to be released and why was he released. After trying to avoid it as much as possible I had to reveal both the name of Merrox and the purpose why he was freed. He chose to come with m. That same night we left the town of Vivaine and headed towards the forge he had to man.

No comments: