Friday, January 18, 2008

The Reunion at the Forge

My name is Cyrellion D'Aesh B'Aernon.

Two months ago I was approached by a dwarf by the name of Belwindier. I was somewhat surprised when he told me that he had heard of my previous deeds fighting against slavers, and on occasion the Hand. For many years I wondered why I was actually doing this. A lone elf with a rag-tag band of like-minded adventurers fighting the dissent that is sweeping through our land?

My last encounter with the slavers did not go so well. Everything was going according to plan - for two months we tracked the slavers, made contact with the slaves and convinced them that this wasn't right for them. Little did we know that some of them were agents. It seems our reputation preceeded us and a trap lay in wait. On our escape, they turned on us, stabbing my comrades in their back, and chasing the rest of us through the dense marshes. I have not heard from my comrades, but I fear the worst. I barely managed to escape, hounded for days, travelling by night and hiding by day. At last I came to a settlement on the borders of the marshes.

I was approached by the dwarf that same evening. Belwindier revealed little about how he found me, only chuckling heartily. A strange race they are.

I was told about the Wardens of Barsaive. How a handful of adventurers secretly grouped together, forming a spy network to fight the scourge of the Hand, and are now gathering at the Forge. I thought I was alone in all this, and now, here was a chance for me to drive an arrow through the heart of this dissent!

-----

Wanting to remain anonymous as long as possible, I took my horse that same night and rode out hard toward the south, to the Forge. I had heard about the desert, but could never imagine how hot and dry it could become. Using all my knowledge I managed to survive those months under the searing sun. A few airships flew overhead, but I made no move to hail them.

One morning I arrived at the Forge. A forge they call it! The immense complex is staggering. I remember the underground havens of the mountains, but this, in the middle of the desert was more than i imagined. Training halls, sleeping quarters, chambers with skilled workers crafting weapons, and then the forge itself!

I rested for a couple of days to recover my strength. Still wounded from my encounter with the slavers, and dehydrated from the desert I was given potions to recover. When I was fit enough I was taken to a large amphitheatre where others gathered for the initiation. We were all presented with the Wardens Keatta, a beautifully crafted knife which we each named in turn to bind it to us. After the initiation the others in the chamber mingled to talk, but still a little overwhelmed by the whole experience and still weak, I retreated back to my room to rest.

In the morning, feeling much better, Merrox - the head of the Wardens took me to meet with a a select group of adventurers reknown for their deeds whom I saw . First there was Jarl Skålder , an Dwarf Elementalist, a T'Skrang Swordmaster by the name of Ahmok Silanaas, a human weaponsmith called Ivor son of Gunthar, and also an fellow elf called Elessar Sirfalas - a Nethermancer he claimed to be - I have never heard of a Nethermancer before, but when I had time to look this up I was a little disturbed. Still, if the Wardens trusted and accepted him, then he must be just as worthy as the rest of these heroes.

Merrox informed us of rumours of a city that might have reappeared within the marshes. From the little information that they deciphered from the Books. We were to go into the marshes in search of this city before the Hand got there. The Wardens would provide us with transport close to the marshes - which came as a relief to me after my journey through the desert - and from there we would be on our own.

We palavered for a while, discussion the best way to get ourselves a boat to travel through the dangerous waters - infested with deadly creatures other things rather not named. From my experience these waters, meeting with lava undercurrents could reach boiling points. The mists themselves are sometimes steam rising from the waters, creating a dense wall that blocks visibility completely and distorts sound so utterly that an unwary traveller could get lost within minutes. Not to mention the slavers that abound there. This would also be my chance to get back at them!!

I was greatly and pleasantly surprised with the Forge's training facilities. Using illusions and magic, an ambush scenario was created for us, where we got the chance to fight against an illusionary foe - though the pain was very real at the time!!! My new companions know well their skills, and I have confidence that together we'll be able to accomplish great deeds.

Perhaps we'll be able to create our own dissent within the ranks of the Hand!!

No comments: