Thursday, March 8, 2007

River Ambush

I managed to find a relatively dry corner beneath the main deck. All around me the sounds of the rough waters and the creaking boat were enough to keep me from concentrating on revising my spells. I put my grimoire carefully away, making sure it is packed well against the moisture. Thinking back on the voice in my head I realised that I hadn’t heard it in a while, and I was not sure whether it was a good thing or not.

My thoughts were disturbed, again, this time by crew and passengers alike who were holding vomiting competitions. Nearer to my dry corner a homogenous group huddled and told bad jokes– like how can you tell if an orc is sea-sick? Still, it was interesting to see how name givers’ attitude and behaviour change when their comfort is tested so.

Since inner solace eluded me below deck I ventured above it for some fresh air. Drummond looked rather green for a Captain, while the first mate, Eli was weathering it fine. Looking towards the horizon I spotted a column of smoke where, after I made some enquiries learned that, no smoke should be. It seemed to be coming from beyond a bend in the river, then obscured by the foliage. The worst was feared, and people were rushing to the side to see what was happening.

The fears were justified, as a barge was wrecked on the shore and on fire. This was no natural event though, for still going at it we saw a large group of orc scorchers pillaging the vessel. Orders were given to stay as far as possible and increase speed, while those of us who could hurled weapons and spells at the orcs. We managed to wound what looked like the leader, thanks in part to my trusted astral spear spell.

As we put more distance between us Drummond confided that he was certain we would see the orcs again – they would try catch the Ugly Duck as they did that barge. Consulting his charts he narrowed the two places where such another attack could occur, and one was too far off. After some debate it was decided that a party would go overland to ambush the ambushers. It was a gamble that many felt was worth taking to defend the ship and its occupants.

The ship sped onwards to our drop off point, to give us enough time to cross the thick forest. Our merry party was selected for the task, together with Zaphon as scout. He was reluctant at first, and seemed deeply suspicious. The plan was for us to surprise the ambushers as they were focused on the incoming ship. Ajisha would then go to inform the crew that we were in place.

The going was hard as we kept a fast pace. At one point I heard someone say that some sort of building was spotted, completely covered in vegetation. We had no time to investigate though.

We came upon the orcs in the late afternoon. They were busy preparing traps for the ship. We almost lost our cover when an argument broke out as to whether we should attack now, being unarmed, unarmoured, and tired from the labour, or wait for the ship, when they would be more distracted and we would have support. The latter was decided, not without complaints, and we waited.

As the orcs waited for the ship and it was spotted coming our way, Ajisha was sent to notify it, as planned. That was the only part of the plan that worked though… Our element of surprise was completely lost as they noticed us creeping behind them. Instead of fighting on the river bank, from where the crew and the rest would be able to help us, they rushed at us beyond the tree line. It was a messy affair. I was seriously wounded, having had two orcs on me from the start of combat. Out of all the ship’s occupants only Wilks came down to help us, rather unsurprisingly. After dragging for a long time the battle turned our way. From the corner of my eye I saw Ahmok decapitate his unlucky opponent, a few more of them turned tail and fled. It was all over when their leader was felled, unconscious.

The end of the day saw us tending to the injured and licking our wounds. I had a feeling, then, that many of our chronicles would be ending thus.

No comments: